Read uncommitted ever possible?

From: "hans wulf" <lotu1(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Read uncommitted ever possible?
Date: 2011-03-10 12:31:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi,

if you want to do dirty counts or sums or any aggreate stuff, you will always have to visit the table. For many applications nobody cares about 0,01% inaccuracy.

If you could keep the data that has to be aggregated in the index you could approximate values really fast.

But because "Read uncommitted" is not implemented you will always have to visit the table. This is one reason why people have to still buy oracle.

I don't know the postgres code, but I don't thing it is a big deal, not to care about consistancy. The code for executing such a query should be quite basic, because no MVCC-Stuff has to be done.

Will this feature come any time soon? Even if "Read uncommitted" is a "could read all sorts of old and dirty stuff" it is still better than nothing.