Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
Date: 2011-02-24 21:59:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:11:44 pm Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> > On 02/24/11 11:02 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> >> How do I check the fillfactor on the table, please?
> >
> > its in the field reloptions in pg_class. so...
> >
> > select reloptions from pg_class where relname='tablename';
>
> Thanks, John!
>
> autovacuum_enabled=true is the only option set on this table
> on both the source database and the target.
>
> >> How do I pg_restore it so that it is 50 GB in size? Is it a setting
> >> to pg_dump or to pg_restore?
> >
> > are you truncating the table before restoring, or is this a restore into
> > a new database, or what?
>
> I've tried both. Slony truncates the table before copying it over, and
> I've tryind pg_restore'ing it into a new database. In both cases, the 50
> GB table arrives as a 100 GB table.
>
> Aleksey

What is the schema for this table and associated indexes?
Or if that is not available what is in the table?
Is the data the same in both for the problem table? I am somewhat suspicious
that the second db table is twice the size of the first. Almost like the data is
being duplicated.
From above what is the size of the pg_dump for that table only when you dump
from the original table versus from the table in the second db?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com