Re: Feature request: include script file into function body

From: Steve White <swhite(at)aip(dot)de>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request: include script file into function body
Date: 2011-02-01 18:50:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi again, all,

OK I think I now know what the misunderstanding is.

> [Please don't top-post. Rearranged for clarity.]
>
> Steve White <swhite(at)aip(dot)de> wrote:
> >>
> >> This seems like a security hole, ie, you could use it to read any
> >> file the backend has access to.
>
> > Isn't the \i command a similar security hole?
>
> That is run by a client program on a client machine. If that is
> what you had in mind, a modification to the CREATE FUNCTION syntax
> is probably not the way to go. Just to throw a hypothetical out
> there, were you looking to effectively do a \i inside the string
> literal which is the function body, picking up a *client-side* file?
>
> That has its own problems, of course, but I'm just trying to get us
> onto the same page.
>
> -Kevin

I guess the "FROM filename" syntax wasn't a great choice, as it suggests
something completely different from what I was otherwise describing.
(In my own defense: I repeatedly qualified the syntax as a suggestion.)

I *DO NOT MEAN* that a query should run about grabbing files off the
server, or wherever.

I meant something like the replacement that happens with the \i command
in loading SQL, and under similar circumstances, except that somehow
non-SQL code is loadad in a function body.

Again, this would greatly facilitate programming mixed-language
programming.

Thanks!