Re: REVIEW: WIP: plpgsql - foreach in

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REVIEW: WIP: plpgsql - foreach in
Date: 2011-01-24 04:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Uh oh. You just reopened the can of worms from hell.

Alright.. I'm missing what happened to this suggestion of using:

FOR var in ARRAY array_expression ...

I like that a lot more than inventing a new top-level keyword, for the
same reasons that Tom mentioned: using a different initial keyword
makes it awkward to make generic statements about "all types of FOR
loop" (as I noticed while looking through the documentation changes that
should be made for this); and also some of the other comments about how
FOREACH doesn't give you any clue that this is some
array-specific-FOR-loop-thingy.

Thanks,

Stephen