Vacuuming -- again

From: peter(at)vfemail(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Vacuuming -- again
Date: 2011-01-20 19:34:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

I posted a message about PostgreSQL vacuuming to this list in Feb. 2010, received some responses, but probably didn't understand what I was being told at that time.

There's a script running on my server hosting a PostgreSQL database that does some type of vacuuming routine once each week. Specifically, the script executes this command:

psql -d database_name -c "vacuum full verbose"

and e-mails the verbose output to me.

One response said that FULL vacuuming on a routine basis was a very bad idea.

I'm wondering now if I should delete the "full" parameter and change this script to say:

psql -d database_name -c "vacuum verbose"

The vacuuming routine is taking longer and longer each week. Currently, it takes about 30 hours for the routine to complete. During that time, the database is not accessible.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

This message sent via VFEmail.net
http://www.vfemail.net
$14.95 Lifetime accounts! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!