Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE patch v1

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE patch v1
Date: 2011-01-05 15:42:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 10:19:23AM +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> > One could imagine that an extension was updated more quickly than
> > PostgreSQL major versions come out, or at least not at the exact same
> > time.
>
> Sure, but I don't see what your proposed syntax is giving us here.

The syntax by itself does nothing, but the underlying capability gives
users:

- The ability to have versions of software on different databases on
the same system.

- The ability to do deterministic upgrades, rather than just, "upgrade
me to the latest, which may be buggy and/or slow things down to
avoid a problem I know I don't have."

> Currently the new version you're upgraded to is the one installed on
> the file system, and whose .so has already been upgraded, and that's
> it.
>
> I still need a better grasp at what your proposal is about to
> comment and integrate, I fear.

I am not saying that this is a show-stopper. I *am* saying that
multiple concurrent versions and deterministic upgrades are common
enough requests that you shouldn't do things that would prevent those
in the future.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!