Re: pg_largeobject and toast

From: yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_largeobject and toast
Date: 2010-12-22 23:53:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

> yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi) writes:
>>> At one time there was an actual command ALTER TABLE foo CREATE TOAST TABLE
>>> (or something close to that, don't recall the exact spelling) that
>>> in principle could have been invoked on pg_largeobject.  That's not
>>> there anymore, but as you say it's still possible for pg_largeobject
>>> to acquire a toast table if you're willing to perform random ALTERs
>>> on it.
>> is it too complicated to make the database bootstrap process perform
>> SET STORAGE equivalent so that random ALTERs on the table doesn't
>> trigger toast creation?
> I guess the answer to that is what the heck are you doing doing random
> ALTERs on a system catalog?  It's not clear to me that we should be
> putting in kluges to cause such things to have nonstandard effects.
> Superusers are assumed to know what they're doing.

well, a novice user (me) got surprised by the behaviour when learning
postgresql and asked a possibly stupid question.  that's all.
i have no particular reason to do random ALTERs on a system catalog except

IMO it's better if system catalogs behave similar to ordinary tables
where possible.  but surely it depends on how much kludge is necessary
for it.