BUG #5751: pg_restore does not work correctly with BLOBs

From: "Michael Feldmann" <michael(dot)feldmann(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5751: pg_restore does not work correctly with BLOBs
Date: 2010-11-12 14:19:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      5751
Logged by:          Michael Feldmann
Email address:      michael(dot)feldmann(at)uni-muenster(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.5
Operating system:   Ubuntu
Details:

I start with a database containing only a BLOB.
Then I dump this database with pg_dump -Fc
Then I create a new database testblob
and restore the dump with the command

  pg_restore -v -c -d testblob -O blob.dump

This works as expected.
But if I try restore the same dump again
with the same command I get the error message

  pg_restore: restoring BLOBS
  pg_restore: [archiver] could not create large object 25213
  pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

If I first drop the database testblob and then
create it again everything works fine.
It seems that pg_restore does not clean the
old database completely, despite the -c flag.

We ran into this problem when writing an
automated mirroring script.

Best Regards
Michael Feldmann
---