BUG #5749: Case sensivity of names of sequences.

From: "Denis" <DolgalevDenis(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5749: Case sensivity of names of sequences.
Date: 2010-11-11 15:26:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      5749
Logged by:          Denis
Email address:      DolgalevDenis(at)mail(dot)ru
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Hello.
I found some problem with sequences names. I am new in Postgresql, so sorry
if this problem was already discussed.
I wanted to make a simple table with ID column, that value must be taken
from the sequence (automatically incremented by 1 in every next record).
1. In GUI I created the sequence with name “NameSeq” (uppercase “N”
and “S”).
2. Then I was trying to create a table using this simple querry:
CREATE TABLE "Names"
(
   "NameId" bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('NameSeq') primary key,
   "Name" char(20),
   "FirstName" char(30),
   "SecondName" char(30)
)
WITH (
  OIDS = FALSE
)
;

But I get the error: “ERROR: relation "nameseq" does not exist SQL state:
42P01”
As you can see, sequence name in error message written in lowercase, but in
querry I used “NameSeq”.
3. I created new sequence “nameseq” (“n” and “s” in lowercase)
and the querry was completed without errors.
Should the sequence names always be in lowercase or it`s a bug?

pgsql-bugs by date