Re: contrib: auth_delay module

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Subject: Re: contrib: auth_delay module
Date: 2010-11-04 13:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Jan Urbański (wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org) wrote:
> On 04/11/10 14:09, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Hmm, I wonder how useful this is given that restriction.
>
> As KaiGai mentined, it's more to make bruteforcing difficult (read: tmie
> consuming), right?

Which it would still do, since the attacker would be bumping up against
max_connections. max_connections would be a DOS point, but that's no
different from today. Other things could be put in place to address
that (max # of connections from a given IP or range could be implemented
using iptables, as an example).

5 second delay w/ max connections at 100 would mean max of 20 attempts
per second, no? That's alot fewer than 100*(however many attempts can
be done in a second). Doing a stupid while true; psql -d blah; done
managed to get 50 successful ident auths+no-db-found errors done in a
second on one box here. 5000 >> 20, and I wasn't even trying.

Thanks,

Stephen