Re: SFPUG/PGX Happy Hour

From: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SFPUG/PGX Happy Hour
Date: 2010-10-23 22:11:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacysfpug
Since the location hasn't been chosen yet, I thought I'd send along a
few suggestions for places to look into (caveat: I know nothing
about the Irish bars around the St. Francis):

(1) Cafe Royale, at Post & Leavenworth

This place is highly recommended:
Nice atmosphere, serves espresso drinks as well as alcohol, has free wifi.
5 blocks from the hotel.

Unlike most Tuesdays, they don't have live music scheduled on Nov 2.
They're open to hosting specials events:

(2) Thermidor, 9 Mint Plaza (just off of 5th Street, between Market & Mission)

A not-cheap restaurant with bar, advertises a happy hour 5pm-7pm
on weekdays.  The interesting feature is the outdoor seating with
overhead heating, but with *no* nearby car traffic, and yet it's
only around 6 blocks from the hotel.

Apparently by the same people who do Spork, though this is more upscale.
Their policy on groups makes it sound like they're thinking "group dinner":

(3) Thai Million, Jessie Street at 5th (downstairs from Hotel Milano)

Decent Thai restaurant with a large bar.  6 blocks from the hotel.

"We can also accommodate private parties for any occasions. We
have a separate dining area equipped with a full private bar."

(4) Sugar Cafe, Sutter Street at Taylor.

Two blocks from the hotel.  Looks a bit like a 20-something date
place: large, wide couches, big projection screens with MTV-ish
videos... but I've seen people out there using laptops in the
midst of the bar scene (they're supposed to have free wifi until
9pm). Advertises alcohol and deserts.  (a flash site)
  (415) 441-5678

Oh, and an honorary mention goes to "Tunnel Top", which is
probably too small for these purposes, but if you need a place to
hide, this is good to know about. It's hidden away a mere 3 blocks
from the hotel, up the stairs by the entrance to the Stockton