Re: SFPUG/PGX Happy Hour

From: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SFPUG/PGX Happy Hour
Date: 2010-10-23 22:11:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacysfpug
Since the location hasn't been chosen yet, I thought I'd send along a
few suggestions for places to look into (caveat: I know nothing
about the Irish bars around the St. Francis):

(1) Cafe Royale, at Post & Leavenworth

   http://www.caferoyale-sf.com/

This place is highly recommended:
Nice atmosphere, serves espresso drinks as well as alcohol, has free wifi.
5 blocks from the hotel.

Unlike most Tuesdays, they don't have live music scheduled on Nov 2.
They're open to hosting specials events:

  http://www.caferoyale-sf.com/eventNew.shtml

(2) Thermidor, 9 Mint Plaza (just off of 5th Street, between Market & Mission)

A not-cheap restaurant with bar, advertises a happy hour 5pm-7pm
on weekdays.  The interesting feature is the outdoor seating with
overhead heating, but with *no* nearby car traffic, and yet it's
only around 6 blocks from the hotel.

  http://www.thermidorsf.com/
  http://www.yelp.com/biz/thermidor-san-francisco

Apparently by the same people who do Spork, though this is more upscale.
Their policy on groups makes it sound like they're thinking "group dinner":

  http://www.thermidorsf.com/groups.html

(3) Thai Million, Jessie Street at 5th (downstairs from Hotel Milano)

Decent Thai restaurant with a large bar.  6 blocks from the hotel.

  http://thai-million.com

"We can also accommodate private parties for any occasions. We
have a separate dining area equipped with a full private bar."

(4) Sugar Cafe, Sutter Street at Taylor.

Two blocks from the hotel.  Looks a bit like a 20-something date
place: large, wide couches, big projection screens with MTV-ish
videos... but I've seen people out there using laptops in the
midst of the bar scene (they're supposed to have free wifi until
9pm). Advertises alcohol and deserts.

  http://www.sugarcafesf.com/  (a flash site)
  (415) 441-5678
  http://www.yelp.com/biz/sugar-cafe-san-francisco

Oh, and an honorary mention goes to "Tunnel Top", which is
probably too small for these purposes, but if you need a place to
hide, this is good to know about. It's hidden away a mere 3 blocks
from the hotel, up the stairs by the entrance to the Stockton
Tunnel:

  http://www.yelp.com/biz/tunnel-top-san-francisco