Re: Query advice request

From: Mark Kelly <pgsql(at)wastedtimes(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query advice request
Date: 2010-10-10 21:48:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Mladen

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

On Saturday 09 Oct 2010 at 19:23 Mladen Gogala wrote:

> Mark, you should be using text indexes. You are looking for the whole
> words and the regular expression will not use an index. If you want
> speed, at least one of the two columns in your query should be indexed
> with a text index.

That's probably a bit more high-level than I was asking for TBH - I was
curious as to whether there was a better way to write the query, and I'm
assuming from the lack of comments on my idiocy that it's at least okay :)

The headline column in the query has an index (it is limited to 200 characters
to fit the web layout), and I shall investigate using the stuff in your reply
to Francisco (though I never saw his post for some reason) regarding fulltext.

Thanks,

Mark