We're almost half way through the commitfest, and so I'll start with:
- Most patches still in play have a reviewer.
- It's possible for one person to post 5 reviews in a day. Robert
Haas actually did this on his own time yesterday.
- New people have been reviewing patches, at least up to the
- There is 1 (one) patch marked "Committed" or "Ready for Committer,"
where neither the author nor reviewer is a committer. This
basically means we have approximately one RRReviewer.
- Patches are not getting even basic QA.
The Bad and the Ugly are fixable, and here's how.
At the moment, we've got 7 basic review criteria
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch, 5 of which can be
accomplished with C skills somewhere between 0 and tiny. These are:
1. Submission review (skills needed: patch, English comprehension)
2. Usability review (skills needed: test-fu, ability to find and read spec)
3. Feature test (skills needed: patch, configure, make, pipe errors to log)
4. Performance review (skills needed: ability to time performance)
5. Coding review (skills needed: guideline comparison, experience with portability issues, minor C-reading skills)
I'd like to set as a goal that every patch in this commitfest get
those levels of review. You do not need C skills. You do not need
to be a genius database engine hacker. You just need to be
diligent and want to move the project ahead.
If you haven't yet, get signed in and start reviewing patches. Sign
in with your community login, and let's get going :)
In case you were wondering, what I'm doing here is part of step 7.
If you think that getting all outstanding patches through step 5 is
not doable, let me know. If you think it is, this is your chance to
help make it happen. Write back either way.
 If you do have them, help out with step 6, too.
 If you are one, help out with step 6, too.
David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> http://fetter.org/
Phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666 Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter XMPP: david(dot)fetter(at)gmail(dot)com
Remember to vote!
Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Tom Lane||Date: 2010-09-28 21:03:27|
|Subject: Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement |
|Previous:||From: Robert Haas||Date: 2010-09-28 20:49:29|
|Subject: Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement|
pgsql-rrreviewers by date
|Next:||From: Itagaki Takahiro||Date: 2010-09-29 01:11:00|
|Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Commitfest: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly|
|Previous:||From: Pavel Stehule||Date: 2010-09-26 10:39:21|
|Subject: Re: wip: functions median and percentile|
pgsql-general by date
|Next:||From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo||Date: 2010-09-28 21:48:16|
|Subject: Re: huge difference in performance between MS SQL and pg
8.3 on UPDATE with full text search|
|Previous:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2010-09-28 20:38:57|
|Subject: Re: pg_upgrade|