Re: documentation udpates to pgupgrade.html

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: documentation udpates to pgupgrade.html
Date: 2010-09-28 18:43:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Massa, Harald Armin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just doing an upgrade form PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on Windows 2007 64bit to
> PostgreSQL 9.0 64bit on the same system.
>
> I am working along
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/pgupgrade.html
>
> There is written:
>
> NET STOP postgresql-8.4
> NET STOP postgresql-9.0
> or
>
> NET STOP pgsql-8.3 (PostgreSQL 8.3 and older used a different service name)
>
> which should be extended by
>
> net stop postgresql-x64-9.0
>
> for Windows 64 bit.

Interesting. What I have added to HEAD and 9.0 docs is the attached
patch that explains the proper service name should be used. I don't
think I want to mention 64-bit explicitly, and in fact this section is
part of an 'e.g.' block, meaning they are just examples. If I get more
64-bit reports I can add an example for that too.

> It would also be helpfull, if there was a reamrk that pg_upgrade will
> try to write to the current directory - as "runas /user:postgres
> cmd.exe" usually starts within c:\windows\system; so a cd %TEMP% after
> runas would be valuable

Agreed. Second patch attached that mentions this.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 663 bytes
/rtmp/diff2 text/x-diff 1.1 KB