Re: A note on pg_upgrade and missing "pg_upgrade_support.so"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A note on pg_upgrade and missing "pg_upgrade_support.so"
Date: 2010-09-28 17:44:11
Lists: pgsql-general
Ian Barwick wrote:
> >> Well, that is step #4:
> >>
> >> ? ? ? http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/pgupgrade.html
> >> ? ? ? 4.
> >>
> >> ? ? ? Install pg_upgrade
> >>
> >> ? ? ? Install pg_upgrade and pg_upgrade_support in the new PostgreSQL cluster
> >>
> >> Was that not clear enough?
> >
> > I hope my comment didn't sound insulting. ?I really want to know how
> > that doc item can be made clearer.
>
> No insult taken :) .With the benefit of hindsight it's plenty clear;
> the problem was:
>
> a) I was doing this in a hurry (had a small amount of time to kill and
> a dev machine with an older beta on it)
> b) got sidetracked by this thread which appears to describe the same
> problem: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-testers/2010-06/msg00000.php
> and which was popping up pretty high in Google.

Yep, we need to address this.

> Looking over the doc page again, if scanning over it, it's a bit easy
> to misread it as something like "Install pg_upgrade for pg_upgrade
> support in the new PostgreSQL cluster".

The big problem was that the title said "Install pg_upgrade", but the
detail had you installing two things, one of which was pg_upgrade.  It
was using pg_upgrade in both a generic sense, and in the
/contrib/pg_upgrade sense, which is bound to confuse, as you said.

I have attached a doc diff I backpatched to 9.0 that includes
pg_upgrade_support in the section title. This should avoid future
confusing.  Thanks for your report.