Re: Implicit CAST is not working in Postgresql 8.4

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implicit CAST is not working in Postgresql 8.4
Date: 2010-09-28 14:26:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:37:46PM +0600, AI Rumman wrote:
> I migrated data from Postgresql 8.1 to Postgresql 8.4 using
> pg_dump. But now I found that, most of the queries in my
> applicaiton are being failed. Invesitigating the problem, I found
> that no function is available in the DB to CAST INT to TEXT etc.

This is due to sloppy coding in your code base, which was, unknown to
you, capable of producing "surprising," and by "surprising," I mean
"glaringly wrong" answers. You need to find the places where your
code base contains this slop and clean it up.

I can't really recommend that you put in workarounds, as they don't
actually fix the bugs you've found.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!