Re: security label support, revised

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: security label support, revised
Date: 2010-09-23 18:06:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The point is that SECURITY LABEL, as coded, will fail utterly unless
> there is a label provider loaded. So you can't actually run it and
> check the results in the catalog without loading a contrib module.

Urgh, yes, point. Well, we could test that it errors out correctly. :)

Another thought might be to allow the "check if a module is loaded
before doing things" to be a postgresql.conf option that is disabled in
the regression testing.. If you can modify postgresql.conf you can
remove the module anyway.. Interesting question as to if we should
auto-fail queries against objects which have labels when no security
module is loaded. Have we discussed that yet?

Thanks,

Stephen