Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, rod(at)iol(dot)ie, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements
Date: 2010-09-21 19:21:04
Lists: pgsql-www

Thom Brown wrote:
> On 20 September 2010 16:23, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Thom Brown wrote:
> >> I discussed the javascript change with Magnus, and whilst in *theory*
> >> it won't affect the rest of the site, we deemed it safer to apply it
> >> at a later stage, and just keep the existing gecko fixes script there
> >> until the other one can be tested properly. ?It's only really been
> >> tested against the docs, but would be included in the general site
> >> header so would be loaded for every page on the site. ?The CSS it
> >> injects affects the document container so that's the "in theory" bit.
> >> But my version of the site we were using it on isn't the same as the
> >> current one as it's still under development.
> >>
> >> Once things have died down a little from the 9.0 release, I'll coax
> >> Magnus into applying that to his copy of the site and draft in people
> >> to test it both on the docs and the rest of the site.
> >
> > Thanks. ?So, tomorrow? ?;-)
>
> Well, it's tomorrow as of yesterday... or something like that, and
> Magnus has kindly put those changes into his version for testing:
> http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-datetime.html
>
> This includes a fix to the caution and warning box titles which were a
> tad too small and pressed up against the top of the box.

You know, if my nagging didn't produce results, I might stop doing it. ;-)

Looks perfect to me in both large and normal font sizes. Very polished!

FYI, I was reading the Slashdot comments about our 9.0 release and there
were several comments about how good our documentation is, including the
new appearance for 9.0. I will blog about it today.

> > One issue I see is that we made fixed-width font size match
> > proportional-width fonts in the doc javascript because we were mixing
> > the two in the same paragraph. ?There might be cases where we don't mix
> > them on the web site and might want to honor whatever size differences
> > specified by the user.
>
> Do you mean outside of the docs? If so, it shouldn't affect anything
> else. If you mean within the docs, I don't think varying monospace
> font sizes would look very consistent.

I thought you said it would affect things beyond the docs, but I was
obviously wrong.

Great job team!

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com