Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements
Date: 2010-09-10 21:21:59
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
Thom Brown wrote:
> >> That javascript checked whether the values were the same, and if they
> >> weren't, it introduced a stylesheet which made an adjustment, which is
> >> pretty much what the current site does, except we don't bother
> >> checking the rendering engine, just the default font settings.
> >>
> >> It seems that I'm a lot further off than I thought I was. :/ ?Back to
> >> the drawing board.
> >
> > I think the original adjustment was flawed because it just set a
> > percentage change. ?I think we can just assign them to match, rather
> > than trying to figure out what percentage to use. ?Where is the
> > javascript file?
>
> It wasn't introduced for the existing site, but you can grab it from here:
>
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/media/js/monospacefix.js
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/media/css/monospacefixes.css

OK, that helps, and I see the issue now.  You basically have no way to
push the calculation up into the style sheet.  There are several

1.  Use document.styleSheet[] to push changes into the style sheet
2.  Use javascript to set a computed "style" string for every item with
    a specific class.
3.  Use a single monospacefixes.css file
4.  Use one of several monospacefixes.css files based on a computed value

#1 and #2 are overkill, I think.  #3 is what we have now, and is
obviously deficient.  #4 seems good to me;  using
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/media/js/monospacefix.js I would add:

	if (propSize / monoSize >= 1.8)
	      document.write('<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "/media/css/monospacefixes1_8.css";</style>\n');
	else if (propSize / monoSize >= 1.4)
	      document.write('<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "/media/css/monospacefixes1_4.css";</style>\n');
	else if (propSize / monoSize >= 1.2)
	      document.write('<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "/media/css/monospacefixes1_2.css";</style>\n');
	else if (propSize / monoSize >= 1.1)
	      document.write('<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "/media/css/monospacefixes1_1.css";</style>\n');

That requires the creation of four small style sheets, and should cover
most of the common ratios.