Re: pgbench could not send data to client: Broken pipe

From: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench could not send data to client: Broken pipe
Date: 2010-09-08 20:44:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 04:35:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
- David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> writes:
- > should i be running pgbench differently? I tried increasing the # of threads
- > but that didn't increase the number of backend's and i'm trying to simulate
- > 2000 physical backend processes.
-
- The odds are good that if you did get up that high, what you'd find is
- pgbench itself being the bottleneck, not the server.  What I'd suggest
- is running several copies of pgbench *on different machines*, all
- beating on the one database server.  Collating the results will be a bit
- more of a PITA than if there were only one pgbench instance, but it'd
- be a truer picture of real-world behavior.
-
- It's probably also worth pointing out that 2000 backend processes is
- likely to be a loser anyhow.  If you're just doing this for academic
- purposes, fine, but if you're trying to set up a real system for 2000
- clients you almost certainly want to stick some connection pooling in
- there.
-
- 			regards, tom lane
-

ah that's a good idea, i'll have to give that a shot.

Actually, this is real.. that's 2000 connections - connection pooled out to
20k or so. (although i'm pushing for closer to 1000 connections).

I know that's not the ideal way to go, but it's what i've got to work with.

It IS a huge box though...

Thanks

Dave