BUG #5647: COPY TO does not respect the [standard_conforming_strings] setting

From: "David Sahagian" <david(dot)sahagian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5647: COPY TO does not respect the [standard_conforming_strings] setting
Date: 2010-09-07 16:23:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5647
Logged by: David Sahagian
Email address: david(dot)sahagian(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0 beta4
Operating system: win XP
[standard_conforming_strings] setting
Details:

-
start the postgresql-9.0 service on my winXP laptop
-
verify that [standard_conforming_strings] = on
-
select a varchar(255) column from my table
using Query Tool of pgAdmin III
-
value displayed: my\n\m\\pq
this is expected by me
-
then do the COPY stmt
============
COPY( select mycol from silly_tbl )
TO $$c:\tmp\copy_to_bug.txt$$
WITH ( FORMAT text )
============
-
eyeball the output file using Notepad
value displayed: my\\n\\m\\\\pq
-

So all the backslash chars got "doubled".

My claim is . . .
if
standard_conforming_strings = on
then
COPY TO should NOT be modifying the data values
with extra backslashes
.

Notes:
I want to use the output file as input to psql, for another db whose
[standard_conforming_strings] is also = on. The current behavior of COPY TO
makes that impossible.

Thanks,
-dvs-

-dvs-