Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>,Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 13:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> The rsync code itself is not modular, I believe.  I think the author
> thereof kind of took the approach of placing efficiency before all.

Yeah, I looked into this when discussing this same concept at PGCon with
folks.  There doesn't appear to be a good librsync and, even if there
was, there's a heck of alot of complexity there that we *don't* need.
rsync is a great tool, don't get me wrong, but let's not try to go over
our heads here.

We don't need permissions handling, as an example.  I also don't think
we need the binary diff/partial file transfer capability- we already
break relations into 1G chunks (when/if they reach that size), so you
won't necessairly be copying the entire relation if you're just doing
mtime based or per-file-checksum based detection.  We don't need device
node handling, we don't need auto-ignoring files, or pattern
exclusion/inclusion, we don't really need a progress bar (though it'd be
nice.. :), etc, etc, etc.

	Thanks,

		Stephen