Display XML Table output in Browser

From: "Carel Combrink" <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "PostgreSQL Novice List" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL Jnb Pretoria List" <jnbpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Display XML Table output in Browser
Date: 2010-08-26 07:39:38
Lists: jnbpug pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am looking at displaying a table to a user using a web browser. I
have been looking at the PostgreSQL XML functions and it seems to do
what I need. One problem is that I can't get it displayed using the
XSLT stylesheet provided
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-xml.html#XSLT-XML-HTML). I have very little knowledge of XML especially
stylesheets.

Can someone please help me to display a simple table in HTML using
these functions and stylesheets.

I have a simple table that looks as follow:
SELECT * FROM test_html;
idx | time_1 | some_text
-----+----------------------------+-----------
1 | 2010-08-26 09:34:06.067618 | One
2 | 2010-08-26 09:34:06.067618 | Two
3 | 2010-08-26 09:34:06.067618 | Three
(3 rows)

How should I then use the output of the following statement:
SELECT table_to_xml_and_xmlschema('test_html', TRUE, TRUE, '');

Thank you,
--
Carel Combrink
s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.