Re: gSoC add MERGE command new patch -- merge_v104

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gSoC add MERGE command new patch -- merge_v104
Date: 2010-08-24 20:56:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:02:41PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 24/08/10 16:35, Boxuan Zhai wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I finished the MERGE on inheritance tables. Now comes the merge_v201
>
> Oh, great! That means that all the known issues are fixed now, and
> all that's left is fixing any issues raised in review.
>
> I've added this to the September commitfest, but I hope I'll find
> some time to look at this before that. I welcome anyone else to
> review this too!
I have to ask one question: On a short review of the discussion and
the patch I didn't find anything about the concurrency issues
involved (at least nodeModifyTable.c didnt show any).
Whats the plan to go forward at that subject? I think the patch needs
to lock tables exclusively (the pg level, not access exclusive) as
long as there is no additional handling...

Thanks for the work Boxuan!

Andres

PS: The patch reintroduces some whitespace damage...