BUG #5620: PostgreSQL won't accept the word "user" as a valid column name

From: "Samuel Marinov" <samuel(dot)marinov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5620: PostgreSQL won't accept the word "user" as a valid column name
Date: 2010-08-14 00:14:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5620
Logged by: Samuel Marinov
Email address: samuel(dot)marinov(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0b4
Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 10.04 64-bit
column name
Details:

I haven't tried this bug with any other platform or version. I installed
PostgreSQL from source, using the configure command: "./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql". I also started the server after the install with
the following command: "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data" while logged in as a non-root user. Also, I didn't
try creating a test database and user as the INSTALL file says, but creating
databases and users works fine anyway. Other than that, I used all the
defaults found in the INSTALL file for installing and starting PostgreSQL.
After that, I set a password for the postgres user (not the system postgres
user, but the database user) and created another user called ftp. I also
gave the ftp user full ownership to a database named ftp. Then, I logged in
as the ftp user, and tried to run the following query: "create table ftp
(user varchar, password varchar);". I got the following error message:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "user" at character 19
STATEMENT: create table ftp (user varchar, password varchar);
ERROR: syntax error at or near "user"
LINE 1: create table ftp (user varchar, password varchar);

I tried using the name "username" for the first column, and it worked
perfectly.