BUG #5619: restore won't work with files transferred with NFS

From: "Pierre" <pmathe(at)neuf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5619: restore won't work with files transferred with NFS
Date: 2010-08-13 14:18:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5619
Logged by: Pierre
Email address: pmathe(at)neuf(dot)fr
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.4
Operating system: Linux
Details:

Sorry, my previous report was sent by mistake( pressing the tab key in the
detail frame automagically submits the report)

Computer A runs:
Ubuntu 9.04
PostgreSQL 8.4.3 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.4.real
(Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) 4.4.1, 32-bit
PgAdmin3 1.10.0 rev 7945:7946
Computer B runs:
Lubuntu 10.04
PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.4.real
(Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3, 32-bit
PgAdmin3 1.10.2 rev 8217

Detailed operations:
1. on computer A, using PgAdmin3, backup of database x into file
saveddb.backup
2. tranfer of this file to a directory of computer B, using NFS
3. on computer B, Restore of this file from the local directory won't work:
3.1. If it is the first attempt, it says the file structure is not
correct.
3.2. For all the subsequent attemps, the Restore's file select window wont
even allow to start the restore operation (in my french version the
"Valider" key stays greyed.

If in step step I copy the file to an USB support, mount the USB support on
B and move it to the same local directory of B, Restore works.