Re: Idle in TX / Java process hang's in the vicinity of JDBC

From: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idle in TX / Java process hang's in the vicinity of JDBC
Date: 2010-08-02 14:11:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:28:22AM +1200, Oliver Jowett wrote:
- David Kerr wrote:
-
- > we've got a working theory that the program opens up a connection to
- > DB1 and DB2. In DB1 we're running a very long query (15 minutes) and
- > after some sort of timeout(or something) the program hangs leaving the
- > idle in TX in DB2.
-
- You may want to look at any firewalls you have between the client and
- the DBs. Often, stateful firewalls will drop state for connections that
- are idle for extended periods.
-
- -O
-

Turns out, they were accessing a 2nd DB on a seprate server that (that the
developers neglected to mention) and that process was spinning due to bad
statistics on the tables.

so this process was just sitting there legitimately waiting.

Thanks for all the replies!

Dave