Re: Idle in TX / Java process hang's in the vicinity of JDBC

From: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idle in TX / Java process hang's in the vicinity of JDBC
Date: 2010-07-29 21:06:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
- >org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:235)
-
- The stacktrace indicates that Statement.executeQuery was called and the
- JDBC driver started receiving the results from the server.  The driver is
- in the middle of reading a particular row and is waiting for more data
- from the server.  From what you're saying the server thinks it is done,
- but the driver does not, indicating loss of protocol synchronization.
- That's tough to debug after the fact, without a reproducible case or
- network traffic dump.  If you still have this connection stuck in this
- state you could try poking around with a debugger to say what values the
- ReceiveTupleV3 routine has for l_size and already stored in answer.

Thanks, that's helpful! we don't have a debugger configured for that JVM
so we might have to try to catch it next time around.

Getting protocols out of sync sort of sounds to me like a network glitch
of some sort to me. does that sound possible?

- >We were wondering what the:
- >org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:192)
- >  - locked org(dot)postgresql(dot)core(dot)v3(dot)QueryExecutorImpl(at)18493c9
- >
- >was refering to.
- >
-
- This is just indicating that this routine is synchronized.  This is done
- to prevent multiple threads from trying to communicate with the server
- simultaneously and does not indicate a problem.

Awesome, thanks.

Dave