Re: do we need to postpone beta4?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: do we need to postpone beta4?
Date: 2010-07-27 19:53:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> I think we should consider postponing beta4. ?I count eleven
> >> non-documentation, 9.0-specific bug fix on REL9_0_STABLE, but there
> >> are currently five items on the open 9.0 issues list, at least one of
> >> which appears to be a new bug in 9.0, and we just got a bug report on
> >> pgsql-bugs from Valentine Gogichashvili complaining of what looks to
> >> be a crasher in the redo path for heap_xlog_update(). ?It seems
> >> unlikely at this point that we can have all of these issues fixed and
> >> still have time for a full buildfarm cycle before the wrap. ?Does it
> >> make sense to put out a beta with known bugs (presumably requiring
> >> another beta) at this point, or should we push this off a bit?
> >
> > If we don't wrap a beta this week, the next possible window is several
> > weeks away, because various people will be on vacation. ?So I think we
> > should get the existing fixes out there, even if there are known bugs
> > remaining. ?A beta is not an RC.
>
> Well, that's pretty much saying we won't release before September.
> Which is kind of a bummer, but I guess that's what happens when we get
> into vacation season.

Yeah, if we are lucky we can do RC1 in mid-August and still release
final in August, but that assumes everything is done by then, and that
we only need 1-2 RCs. Early September looks more likely. The good
thing is that we are deciding now and are continually seeing if we can
tighten the schedule. (If we stop trying to tighten the schedule, we
get a lose schedule, which no one likes.)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com