Re: PostgreSQL JDBC vs jxDBCon as a model for other language implementations

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL JDBC vs jxDBCon as a model for other language implementations
Date: 2010-07-27 11:56:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 02:08:33PM -0400, Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Tim Bunce wrote:
>
> >The PostgreSQL JDBC drivers seems to have a good Abstract* class
> >hierarchy, which is what I'm looking for. There does seem to be
> >some PostgreSQL-specific logic in those abstract classes though,
> >like appendArray in AbstractJdbc4Connection.
>
> The AbstractJdbc classes are not designed with the intention of
> being usable by other database driver implementations and are very
> postgresql specific. They are instead designed to be able to share
> code across the various JDBC driver versions that can be compiled.
> When you build the driver you get a version that matches the JDBC
> spec of your JDK. So over the course of history we've offered JDBC
> 1 -> JDBC 4 spec drivers and that's what the AbstractJdbc classes
> facilitate.

Thanks for that helpful background Kris.

Given that design it seems that jxDBCon might be a better model
for my needs. I'm trying to contact the authors to get some information
on the history and status of the project. (It seems to have been
abandoned some years ago.)

Meanwhile, I'd be delighted if anyone could suggest any other JDBC
driver development framework I could learn from. Or, else any other
open source JDBC driver with a good internal architecture.

Thanks!

Tim.