PostgreSQL JDBC vs jxDBCon as a model for other language implementations

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL JDBC vs jxDBCon as a model for other language implementations
Date: 2010-07-22 08:54:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi.

I'm building an API for database access for a non-Java language.
I'm modeling the API very closely on JDBC.

I want to make it as easy as possible for other developers to implement
drivers for different database systems.

I came across the jxDBCon project (http://jxdbcon.sourceforge.net/)
which seems to be a good model:

"jxDBCon a framework to ease the development JDBC drivers. By using it
you can concentrate on the tasks specific to your DBMS and benefit from
the generic solutions provided by jxDBCon. jxDBCon also contains a
featureful driver implementation for PostgreSQL"

They also say:

"Actually the framework was created for the PostgreSQL driver, as I
was disappointed with the compatibility of the existing driver which
ships with the database distribution"

The last commit to jxDBCon was almost 5 years ago, whereas the
PostgreSQL JDBC seems well maintained.

The PostgreSQL JDBC drivers seems to have a good Abstract* class
hierarchy, which is what I'm looking for. There does seem to be
some PostgreSQL-specific logic in those abstract classes though,
like appendArray in AbstractJdbc4Connection.

I'm wondering how the jxDBCon and PostgreSQL JDBC drivers compare.
I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some background information
about their history and the relationship between the two drivers.

Is the PostgreSQL JDBC driver class hierarchy, and implementations of the
abstract classes, a good foundation to build a framework to ease the
development JDBC drivers for multiple databases?

Tim.