Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov, matthew(at)flymine(dot)org, craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date: 2010-07-19 02:16:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

> pgbench cannot be used for testing with pgbouncer if number of
> pgbench clients exceeds pool_size + reserve_pool_size of pgbouncer.
> pgbench keeps waiting doing nothing. I am using pgbench  of postgresql 8.1.
> Are there changes to pgbench in this aspect ?

Pgbench won't start actual transaction until all connections to
PostgreSQL (in this case pgbounser I guess) successfully
established. IMO You sholud try other benchmark tools.

BTW, I think you should use -C option with pgbench for this kind of
testing. -C establishes connection for each transaction, which is
pretty much similar to the real world application which do not use
connection pooling. You will be supprised how PostgreSQL connection
overhead is large.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan