Re: How to import *.sql file to postgresql database

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
To: Andre Lopes <lopes80andre(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to import *.sql file to postgresql database
Date: 2010-07-18 22:38:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18/07/10, Andre Lopes (lopes80andre(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> If I do this command gives me the same error:
>
> [quote]
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xff
> HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the
> encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".
> [/quote]
>
> What more can I do?

You still have an encoding/decoding issue, so your load sequence is not
occurring under a LATIN1 encoding in this instance. You may want to look
at iconv to convert your source to a more desirable encoding.

However, from your emails it may be that your file is not a normal text
file dump, but a dump file made with the -Fc flags. Please read the
pg_dump manpage, and, if after inspection of the file itself it proves
to be in the custom, compressed format produced by -Fc, you should use
the pg_restore command to restore from this file.

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net