Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-07-10 02:46:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie jul 09 20:01:55 -0400 2010:
>
> > Where are we on this?  Application?  dia? xfig?  Number of colors?  Once
> > we decide these items, we can start adding diagrams.
>
> I think the first step is defining the source format.  The proposed
> patch uses the dia XML source format, but this is said to have some
> drawbacks (namely: the source is too verbose, the generated png is too
> bloated, and only one tool to handle it).  SVG was also proposed as an
> alternative, but there wasn't much discussion about it.  And finally we
> have xfig.
>
> So what is it?
>
> Maybe we could have diagrams generated by different tools; e.g. we could
> use GraphViz for some things.

OK, all the images on my presentations page are from xfig, and the
representative file sizes are as below:

	1092 query_ssl.fig
	4370 query_ssl.png

PNG image attached.

What I like about xfig is that I can export EPS and embed those in PDF
files as _raster_ images.  Not sure we can use those in our PDFs though.

I assume Dia has more image style options than xfig.