Interpretability with xDBC specification

From: "Sumit Pandya" <sumit(dot)pandya(at)elitecore(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Interpretability with xDBC specification
Date: 2010-07-05 10:59:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi All,
In this mail chain I propose to make a seamless migration path
towards PostgreSQL. There are people who like to migrate from other database
to PostgreSQL. However first problem in that comes is related to feature
compliance and code-changes for same.
Remember that code-change remains as a big hindrance for any
programmer/company.

To start with I'd like to propose compliance for JDBC and ODBC
drivers. Reason for JDBC/ODBC selection is with the facts that
1> Specifications for both are into proper place,
2> Mostly application programmers communicate with this method

There are some specification; example setQueryTimeout of JDBC; which
PostgreSQL doesnot complies.

Non compliance could be fine at some extent. But here problem is
when a code which is written for database supporting setQueryTimeout and
when we planned to test PostgreSQL we got exception from driver.

To move further require to comment out all that code and then
progress further.

Now I propose to not throwing any exception there. It is better if
PostgreSQL - JDBC/ODBC doesnot honor this method. It is painful to change
product source-code for this limitation.

I donot have idea on debug facility in PostgreSQL - JDBC/ODBC. If
you have some debug-log framework available then such non-implemented call
could be part of high level debugging messages.

Please share your opinion/comments.