Re: 9.0beta2 - server crash when using HS + SR

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.0beta2 - server crash when using HS + SR
Date: 2010-06-30 17:15:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I wouldn't be adverse to improving the error messages emitted when this
> > happens by the server to make it more obvious what's gone wrong in 9.1.
> > ?That's the only genuine improvement I'd see value in here, to cut down on
> > other people running into what you did and being as confused by it.
>
> What about the attached patch? When we encounter that problem, we get
> the following hint message:
>
>   FATAL:  directory "/path_to/ts" does not exist
>   HINT:  create "/path_to/ts" directory for tablespace before
> restarting the server
>   CONTEXT:  xlog redo create ts: 16384 "/path_to/ts"

This is an interesting patch idea.  One problem with the patch is that
create_tablespace_directories() is called both during recovery and when
creating a tablespace, and the hint only makes sense in the first case.

The attached patch shows the hint only during recovery.  Unless there
are objections, I will apply this for 9.0.  I do think people will be
hit by this more often in 9.0.