Re: parallel option in pg_restore

From: John Rouillard <rouilj(at)renesys(dot)com>
To: Igor Neyman <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parallel option in pg_restore
Date: 2010-06-22 15:51:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:05:02AM -0400, Igor Neyman wrote:
> > "Igor Neyman" <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com> writes:
> > > I'm testing 8.4.4 (on Windows) before upgrading our app to this PG
> > > version.
> > > When running pg_restore with "-j 2" parallel option, I'm getting the
> > > following error:
> > > "pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out
> > > of order is not supported without ID on this input stream
> > > (fseek required)"
> >
> > We have gotten several reports of this, but none of the
> > developers have been able to reproduce it. Can you provide
> > an exact test case?
> > regards, tom lane

> Backup files I'm trying to restore "in parallel" contain partitions of
> several partitioned tables.
> Tables partitioned "by month", each backup file contains 1 month worth
> of data for all partitioned tables.
>
> Before restoring backed up partitions, I'm restoring from another backup
> file (not using "-j"), which contains "base" (empty) tables, from which
> partitions inherited. And this restore runs fine.

I realise this may be a silly question (especially for windows), but
the fseek complaint has me wondering.

Are you running a pipleine reatore? E.G:

type dumpfile | pg_restore -j 2

or are you running:

pg_restore -j 2 dumpfile

in the latter case it should be fseekable, but in the former case I
don't think you can fseek stdin on either windows or *nix..

--
-- rouilj

John Rouillard System Administrator
Renesys Corporation 603-244-9084 (cell) 603-643-9300 x 111