Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL
Date: 2010-06-17 15:37:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

Atif Jung <atifjung(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Sorry I don't understand. I am porting over some stored procedures from
> INFORMIX to POSTGRES. Some seem to port over OK, but the first problem I am
> encountering is the lack of SYSTEM command in POSTGRES.

That's right.

> I don't understand what you mean by using an untrusted programming language.

We have several internal languages, for instance plpgsql, plperl and
plperlu. Some of them are so called 'trusted languages', for instance
plpgsql. With a trusted language you can't operate outside the pg-system
(no access to the underlaying operating system), with untrusted
languages like plperlu you have access.

> The stored procedure is written in PL/pgSQL, are you suggesting to rewrite it
> in PERL, excuse me for my ignorance.

Right, if you really needs that. But you should reconsider your idea,
see Tom's answer.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°