Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 18:02:40
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > For the community it might be tricky to solve since many of the
> > servers are hosted or sponsored by US organizations. Having some
> > servers with different rules than others might complicate matters
> > significantly.
>
> The community doesn't host the mirrors, we just point to them. Aside
> from what some poeple want it to be, linking is still legal AFAIK. It
> is up to each individual mirror what they want to distribute. We've
> never had issues with that before, and AFAIK nothing has changed
> around this for many years.

I don't think we want to be pushing embargoed data to mirrors and tell
them them have to worry about it;  that might lead to us losing mirrors
and mirrors hosters feeling abused by the community.  We would need to
contact every mirror where this might be a problem, explain the issue,
and let them decide if they want those files.

But again, does a USA company have to try to prevent or report such
mirrors --- I have no idea.