Re: Confusing Linux download page

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing Linux download page
Date: 2010-06-13 13:38:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 15:27, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree that the current one is better than the old one. That doesn't
> >> mean it can't be improved upon.
> >
> > The primary change in the current one was to put the one-clicks first,
> > so those with a shorter-than-normal attention span found something
> > that just worked and gave them the basics they needed in the vast
> > majority of cases.
>
> I always thought it was listing the different download options for
> different distributions instead of just "you can download it from our
> ftp site" that made the difference. Was the three weeks difference
> between those two changes really enough to determine which one was the
> effective one?

Would someone please move:

Note: The one click installers do not integrate with platform-specific
packaging systems. If you need RPM, APT or Portage integration, please
use the packages below.

below these bullets:

* Download for 32bit Linux

* Download for 64bit Linux

I think at least that is a clear win for clarity.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com