Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names ->pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>,Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>,Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>,Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>,pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names ->pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 14:43:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
> > That is exactly what I think is "to big a promise" - I don't think we
> > can actually guarantee that this will fix the dump/restore issue (well
> > the dump might load but say the 30000 lines of plpgsql using dynamic SQL
> > will still be broken).
>
> Yeah, that's a mighty good point.  We are certainly not going to try to
> fix the contents of function bodies.  The only things we could possibly
> fix that we don't handle today (when using the newer pg_dump) are
> references in views, check constraint expressions, etc.

Erm, I don't know that we deal with function-body problems today, even
when using the newer version of pg_dump, do we?  Don't we set
check_function_bodies off, meaning they won't hit the problem till they
try to run the function?  We use $ quoting for the function bodies
entirely otherwise...

	Thanks,

		Stephen