Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 14:38:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> > Well, if you dump in custom format, it could be useful to be able to
> > do this on pg_restore time. Not having followed this thread in detail,
> > but would that work? That would be a much more useful option...
>
> I don't think so because much of the quoting has to be done in the
> backend, and it would be hard for pg_dump to munge the dump file before
> sending it to the backend --- it doesn't have enough knowledge, I am
> afraid. It could try targeting just new keywords, but I am worried that
> would cause more problems than it fixes.

We're talking about a quote-everything option, not what quote_ident()
does today. I don't see why that needs to be done by the backend or why
pg_dump/pg_restore doesn't have enough info to handle that. We don't
change what has to be *quoted* inside a quoted identifier terribly
often...

Thanks,

Stephen