== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 06 2010 ==
On June 11, 2010, Gabriele Bartolini of 2ndQuadrant Italia will speak
at the Italian conference for Free Software in Cagliari, Sardinia
about "High Availability of business databases with PostgreSQL"
On June 12, 2010, the Italian PostgreSQL Users Group (ITPUG) will
promote PostgreSQL at the Italian conference for Free Software in
Cagliari, Sardinia with a day-long session of workshops about
PostgreSQL from Introduction to High Availability.
== PostgreSQL Product News ==
ChronicDB v2.2.2, a schema deployment tool, released.
== PostgreSQL Jobs for June ==
== PostgreSQL Local ==
SouthEast LinuxFest 2010 will take place in Spartanburg, SC USA on
June 11-13. PostgreSQL gurus Joshua Drake and Andrew Dunstan will be
giving some must-see PostgreSQL-related presentations.
Michael Renner will be speaking at Netways OSDC in Nuremberg, Germany,
which will be June 23-24, 2010.
CHAR(10), the PostgreSQL Conference on Clustering, High Availability
and Replication is now open for online registration and bookings.
July 2-3 2010, Oriel College, Oxford University, UK
PDXPUG Day will be July 18, 2010 at the Oregon Convention Center in
Portland, OR. For more information, see:
OSCON will take place in Portland, Oregon July 19-23, 2010.
== PostgreSQL in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://planet.postgresql.org/
PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter
Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
== Applied Patches ==
Heikki Linnakangas committed:
- In pgsql/src/backend/replication/walsender.c, send all outstanding
WAL before exiting when smart shutdown is requested. This was
broken by my previous patch to send WAL in smaller batches. Patch
by Fujii Masao.
- In pgsql/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, fix obsolete comments
that I neglected to update in a previous patch. Fujii Masao.
Bruce Momjian committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/config.sgml, reword fsync and full_page_writes
docs to be clearer about when to turn them off. Josh Berkus, with
slight wording changes by me.
- In pgsql/src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c, add error hint that PL/pgSQL
"EXECUTE of SELECT ... INTO" can be performed by "EXECUTE ... INTO".
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/docguide.sgml, document how to find TeX
overflow boxes in our documentation build, per details from Alvaro
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/docguide.sgml, update TeX overflow
documentation page pattern mask, in docs.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/docguide.sgml, overflow box is on page after
listed page number, per Alvaro.
- In pgsql/src/backend/commands/indexcmds.c, show schema name for
REINDEX. Greg Sabino Mullane.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml, add documentation section "Using
C++ for Extensibility". Craig Ringer
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml, fix SGML markup for tag title.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml, mention palloc/pfree for C++
memory allocation in docs.
- Comment out C++ docs for later user. Tone down C++ compatibility in
9.0 release notes.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release-9.0.sgml, update C++ release note item
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, document that && geometric operator
is true even if only a point overlaps. David Fetter.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, clarify array generate_subscripts()
documentation example. Tim Landscheidt.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/citext.sgml, document that citext operators
must be in the current search path.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml, document use of C++ for extension
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, document regexp_matches() better
and show example of single-row usage.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/extend.sgml, markup fix.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release-9.0.sgml, update 9.0 release notes to
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release-9.0.sgml, fix CREATE TRIGGER release
mention, WHERE -> WHEN.
Alvaro Herrera committed:
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ref/reassign_owned.sgml, add note about
database ownership to REASSIGN OWNED command documentation, per Josh
Berkus. Add ALTER DATABASE to the "see also" section, too.
- In pgsql/src/include/catalog/pg_control.h, add comments about
definitions that may affect PG_CONTROL_VERSION, per recent
Andrew Dunstan committed:
- In pgsql/src/tools/msvc/vcregress.pl, run recently backported
plperlu_plperl regression tests when building with MSVC on releases
8.4 and 8.3. Regression tests weren't supported before that.
- In pgsql/src/tools/msvc/vcregress.pl, fix regression test name for
plperlu_plperl in msvc.
Robert Haas committed:
- On clean shutdown during recovery, don't warn about possible
corruption. Fujii Masao. Review by Heikki Linnakangas and myself.
ITAGAKI Takahiro committed:
- In pgsql/contrib/dblink/dblink.c, fix dblink to treat connection
names longer than NAMEDATALEN-2 (62 bytes). Now long names are
adjusted with truncate_identifier() and NOTICE messages are raised
if names are actually truncated. Backported to release 8.0.
- Replace "slave" to "standby" in documentation for consistent
terminology. Almost all of the terms in docs and messages were
replaced, but still remains in a few comments and README files in
- Ensure default-only storage parameters for TOAST relations to be
initialized with proper values. Affected parameters are fillfactor,
analyze_threshold, and analyze_scale_factor. Especially
uninitialized fillfactor caused inefficient page usage because we
built a StdRdOptions struct in which fillfactor is zero if any
reloption is set for the toast table. In addition, we disallow
toast.autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor because we didn't actually
support them; they are always ignored. Report by Rumko on
pgsql-bugs on 12 May 2010. Analysis by Tom Lane and Alvaro Herrera.
Patch by me. Backpatch to 8.4.
Tom Lane committed:
- In pgsql/src/include/catalog/pg_control.h, bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION
to account for the incompatible change committed earlier.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release-9.0.sgml, remove link that breaks
HISTORY file generation.
- Add current WAL end (as seen by walsender, ie, GetWriteRecPtr()
result) and current server clock time to Streaming Replication data
messages. These are not currently used on the slave side but seem
likely to be useful in future, and it'd be better not to change the
Streaming Replication protocol after release. Per discussion. Also
do some minor code review and cleanup on walsender.c, and improve
the protocol documentation.
- In pgsql/src/backend/replication/walsender.c, adjust misleading
comment in walsender.c. We try to send all WAL data that's been
written out from shared memory, but the previous phrasing might be
read to say that we send only what's been fsync'd.
- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, improve our explanation of the
OVERLAPS operator. Per gripe from Frank van Vugt.
Peter Eisentraut committed:
- Fix some inconsistent quoting of wal_level values in messages.
- Translation updates for 9.0beta2.
When referring to postgresql.conf syntax, then it's without quotes
(wal_level=archive); in narrative it's with double quotes. But never
- In pgsql/src/backend/libpq/hba.c, fix reference to nonexistent
configure option --enable-ssl -> --with-openssl
Marc Fournier committed:
- Tag 9.0beta2.
Michael Meskes committed:
- Added variable handling for RETURNING clause to ecpg. While the
values were correctly returned they were not moved into C variables
as they should be. Closes: Bug #5489.
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
Bruce Momjian's patches to allow setting wal_keep_segments to -1,
which would mean, "never get rid of any." This was agreed not to be a
Pavel Stehule's patch to add new custom GUCs for date and time
formats. Too many GUCs.
== Pending Patches ==
Fujii Masao sent in three patches to fix streaming replication.
Jan Urbanski and Tom Lane traded patches to fix tsvector stats.
Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to allow a client to authenticate a
server over unix-domain sockets.
Tom Lane sent in a WIP patch to fix some some misbehavior on
Andy Balholm sent in a WIP patch to allow dividing money by money.
Daniele Varrazzo sent in a patch to implement a regexp_match()
function which returns an array rather than a SETOF matches as
KaiGai Kohei sent two different patches intended to close some
information leaks in VIEWs.
Dean Rasheed sent in a patch to fix the docs for ALTER TABLE ...
DISABLE/ENABLE TRIGGER. They are out of date.
pgsql-announce by date
|Next:||From: Josh Berkus||Date: 2010-06-07 15:04:21|
|Subject: 9.0 Beta 2 Now Available|
|Previous:||From: ChronicDB Community Team||Date: 2010-06-02 16:06:30|
|Subject: FREE ChronicDB v2: Live schema changes with zero downtime for PostgreSQL|