Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-04 19:19:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:59:48PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Kevin Grittner wrote:

> > > Same here. I suspect that this is much more commonn than many
> > > PostgreSQL developers realize; and I think it makes a reasonable
> > > case for at least an *option* to quote all identifiers emitted by
> > > pg_dump.
> >
> > Even if we quote them in the dump, I assume applications would need
> > to quote them too, which I doubt many do.
>
> It seems like something that's doable by pg_dump as a "default off"
> option. TODO for 9.1?

This is the bug report that prompted this thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-06/msg00018.php

I bigger question is why wouldn't we backpatch WINDOW as quoted in
pg_dump when we release back-branches? That would make the bug go away,
rather than require users to use a special flag (and find out only after
they were doing the reload).

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com