Re: sql files in psql ?

From: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: Mariateresa L <mariateresa(dot)ll(at)bresciaonline(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql files in psql ?
Date: 2010-05-31 21:37:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Mariateresa L <mariateresa(dot)ll(at)bresciaonline(dot)it> wrote:

> [...] I cannot
> convince psql that the SQL commands (select, insert or
> copy...) it has to handle come from a file.
> I can submit ("\i filename" or "psql --file filename")
> files that contains commands, eg starting with "\" but
> psql does not understand the same sintax if tne file
> contains a simple "SELECT * FROM tablex".

If I understand what you're saying, I can't reproduce the problem.

With a "tmp.sql" containing:

create table nameo (nameo text);
insert into nameo (nameo) VALUES ('bingo'), ('bonzo'), ('bang');
select * from nameo;

I see this behavior:

psql --file tmp.sql
CREATE TABLE
INSERT 0 3

-------
(3 rows)
bang
bingo
bonzo
nameo

I'm on ununtu jaunty, using bash and PostgreSQL 8.3.7.

> P.S. Initially I discarded the use of procedural
> languages (C or ...) for a quick and simpler solution !

Myself, I wouldn't try to put together a db-backed app without
a glue language (e.g. perl).