Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Date: 2010-05-31 16:35:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > MSSQL?  Are you sure?  This is the example posted in this thread:
> >
> > 	EXEC dbo.GetItemPrice @ItemCode = 'GXKP', @PriceLevel = 5
> >
> > and it more matches our := syntax than => in its argument ordering.
> >

> I think you are seriously confused, or else you are seriously confusing
> me. The => proposal is to have the ordering "param_name =>
> passed_value", just as Oracle has, just as MSSQL  has "@param_name =
> passed_value", and just as the := proposal would have "param_name :=
> passed_value".

You are right;  I am seriously confused.  I thought it was value =>
variable.  I was wrong.

I now see the Oracle syntax matches the Perl hash assignment syntax.

       The "=>" operator is helpful in documenting the
       correspondence between keys and values in hashes, and
       other paired elements in lists.

               %hash = ( $key => $value );
               login( $username => $password );