Re: exporting raw parser

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: exporting raw parser
Date: 2010-05-27 02:00:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> I'm thinking about exporting the raw parser and related modules as a C
> library. Though this will not be an immediate benefit of PostgreSQL
> itself, it will be a huge benefit for any PostgreSQL
> applications/middle ware those need to parse SQL statements.

I read your proposal says "postgres.exe" will link to "libSQL.dll",
and "pgpool.exe" will also link to the DLL, right?

I think it is reasonable, but I'm not sure what part of postgres
should be in the DLL. Obviously we should avoid code duplication
between the DLL and "postgres.exe".

> - create an exportable version of memory manager
> - create an exportable exception handling routines(i.e. elog)

Are there any other issues? For example,
- How to split headers for raw parser nodes?
- Which module do we define T_xxx enumerations and support functions?
(outfuncs, readfuncs, copyfuncs, and equalfuncs)

The proposal will be acceptable only when all of the technical issues
are solved. The libSQL should also be available in stand-alone.
It should not be a collection of half-baked functions.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center