Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 15:37:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

* Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> [100429 11:24]:

> What is the reason for the *extra* "off" switch? Why two? Why "off"
> twice?

Because I run a PITR slave off a WAL archive... And I'm going to
continue to try and use this setup... I expect to try and experiment
with wal-streaming too when everything is up to 9, and be a little upset
when the "old faithfull" backup I've got and am betting my job on
suddenly starts acting differentlyl, or accepting connections and
causing my db clients to start thowing errors because I'm trying to get
a streaming replication w/ hot standby up on a *different* slave...

It's all about the path of least *suprise*. My "least suprise" would
have been that a similar config I have now with my PITR slaves would
pretty much still work, and not suddenly start accepting connections,
and even worse, at some later date when I've already verified that it
was doing what I expected with the configuration.

There has got to be *something* that tells me it is trying to allow
connectins during recovery, but failing... And i think that just loging
a WARNING and continuing isn't enough, because I'll admit to having
upgraded PG and just "testing" it, not looking thoroughly through the
logs for any new messages that might peak my interest...

That said, since I follow -hackers, that "something" could be considered
this email thread, and I know I will be extra careful about my
deployment of PITR slaves w/ 9 wrt making sure I'm explicit in all the
settings I can find...

And I'll make sure I look more carefully at logs when deploying 9 as well
;-)

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,