Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-28 19:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> [100428 14:49]:

> You'd need a stand-alone tool to do the streaming in that case, and no
> such tool exists yet, but I would be surprised if one doesn't appear on
> pgfoundry sooner or later :-).

And this tool is something I will eventually be interested in working on
or collaborating on... I'm hoping to be able to build a tool that:

1) Connects to PG walsender (a la walreceiver)
2) Streams WAL from pg master
3) Saves WAL into "files" (a la archive)...

i.e. I'm looking to keep a more-up-to-date PITR archive than waiting for
traditional WAL file archiving...

And eventually (9.1+) I'm hoping that walsender will have grown enough
to allow me to configure PG to wait on the commit until the master has
both sync'ed the WAL file, and received a "sync ack" from my
wal-stream-save-to-file tool...

Because then I'll have a situation where I can easily have a
synchronous, separate machine copy of all my WAL without having to jump
through hoops with stuff like drbd or MD+nbd, etc as my WAL disk...

And yes, I don't personally care about streaming replication replaying
WAL as it comes, or running queries in recovery... I'm looking towards
PG not saying my transaction is committed unless it's safely on that
machines disks (or BBcache) *and* another machine... That's the type of
replication a paranoid guy like me waits for... Yes, that's possible
now with exotic os/net/fs configuration, but imagine how nice it will be
when it can all be done in userspace with just PG (and pg-compatible)
tool, etc...

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,