Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Frank Jagusch <frank(at)jagusch-online(dot)de>
Cc: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set LC_COLLATE to de_DE_phoneb
Date: 2010-04-10 07:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 06:59:44PM +0200, Frank Jagusch wrote:
> I thought PostgreSQL is using OS specific functions for sorting (means
> Win32 functions?). This sounds not good for my request. So I ask the
> whole audience: Are others out there asking for a support for the
> alternate sort orders? Is it worth to discuss further in this direction?
>
> Here an other Idea: Is there a way to define a custom collation for a
> database?

Over the years there have been various options suggested and various
patches posted but they never make it, for various reasons.

The only concerted effort I know of is the PostgreSQL ICU patch which
is in FreeBSD ports, to work around the fact that it's C library
doesn't handle UTF-8 collation at all.

http://people.freebsd.org/~girgen/postgresql-icu/README.html

I doubt it's been tested for Windows, but if it works it will give you
alternate sort orders and even custom sort orders.

Have a nice day,